Sunday, June 18, 2023

An Open Universe: Heresy?

 As I have mentioned above, in our formalism “superselection charges” are not necessarily conserved (though they may be, that depends on the details of the dynamics). Is it a Big Heresy? 

The Burning of Master John Rogers

Even if it is a heresy, I am not the only heretic in this world. John Archibald Wheeler stated explicitly, though it is not often quoted:

John Wheeler Principle of mutability (Part 2)

Well somebody might very well say "What about electric charge?" Yes, we don't know any process that violates the Law of Conservation of Electric Charge, so if one believes in the principle of mutability, you'll keep looking for a process where electric charge is not conserved. I'm not immediately animated to go on a raging tearing search for such a process because I don't envisage it right now.

The point is that in our theory the Universe is “open” rather than “closed”, as it is usually assumed. And why should it be “closed”? Experience indicates that it is open. Assuming that it is closed leads to inconsistencies, so why be afraid of letting it be open? There is always some “unknown” lurking somewhere, and so open minds seem to have advantages over closed minds, and open societies seem to have advantages over closed societies. Therefore an open Universe may have some significant advantages over a closed one!

P.S.1. This song about the electric/magnetic charge is for my wife - she likes it!

Judith Edelman - Magnetic
It's the buzz when I'm full
Of your sweet magnetic pull
It's the tug that I crave
It's how opposites behave
Is electricity all there is to you and me?

In the field, in the field
Where the static is revealed
If the north isn't true
Will I lose my way to you?
Is electricity
All there is to you and me?

What's gonna happen when the magnetism fails?
Will we burn up on bright day?
Will the aurora borealis give us one last show?
You can't leave love to science when you go.

There's a deep molten heart
Where these strange attractions start
If we are passionate
Will this rock remember it?
Is electricity all there is to you and me?

What's gonna happen when the magnetism fails?
Will we burn up one bright day?
Will the aurora borealis give us one last show?
You can't leave love to science when you go.

What's gonna happen when the magnetism fades?
Will we burn up on bright day?
Will the aurora borealis give us one last show?
You can't leave love to science when you go.

It's the buzz when I'm full
Of your sweet magnetic pull

P.S.4 18-05 17:14 Actually I am stuck and can't move forward with my notes on conformal compactification. It all got complicated and at the moment I do not see a way out. Don't know how long it will take before all comes out exactly the way I want it to come. Therefore a break for God only knows how long?

P.S.5 19-08 7:46 Yesterday my three daughters surprised me with a Father's Day gift. They gave me five VW cars (+flowers and cookies + food for the Cat)!  The third on the left looks almost exactly as the one I used to have as my first car - an orange beetle:



I think the one on the picture is pink rather than orange, but for me (and for Pikabu the Cat) it makes no difference.

P.S.6. About Purity (Beer, Protestantism, Kant) - suggested to me by Laura:


P.S.7. Today  I received a nice long email from a mathematical physicist in Lisbon, Portugal (PhD from DAMPT Cambridge). starting with:

"I've had a long-time interest in old-fashioned, geometrical Kaluza-Klein. While I was in academia I did not work on it, spending my time with other geometrical topics in field theory. Recently, however, I've had enough time to finish a draft describing some observations that, perhaps, may be relevant to KK.

Your book about Kaluza-Klein was an important learning reference for me. On the other hand, nowadays very few people are interested in the traditional version of those theories. So I would be very interested and grateful if you could let me know your opinion about these observations, even if only at a general high level.:

And then there is an attached paper - 100 pages long. At first look - quite interesting, And yes - it is done in a "traditional way" - which I like! In the past he even wrote a paper on vortices, degenerate metric and conformal transformations - I like them all.

P.S.8. 

Inspiration is a slender river of brightness leaping from a vast & eternal knowledge, it exceeds reason more perfectly than reason exceeds the knowledge of the senses.

Jnana, Sri Aurobindo

P.S.9. 19-06 19:23 Concerning P.S.4: No real progress. Have found today several new ways how not to build the bulb.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment..

Why? The Purpose of the Universe - Part Nine

Laura Knight-Jadczyk  In the previous post , we learned that Philip Goff proposes that the fine-tuning of the cosmos indicates that the emer...